Greenbone uses, extends and improves the Open Vulnerability Assessment System (OpenVAS) as a base technology of the Greenbone Security Solutions.
Interfaces to Greenbone Security Solutions
Three interfaces to the Greenbone Security Solutions are available.
- Web interface (Vulnerability Management Made Easy):
The Greenbone Security Assistant is
a web client. It works without any active content and
therefore works flawless even in environments with
restrictive web content filters. It impressively
demonstrates how to offer a comfortable user interface
and full feature set even without active content.
- Desktop Interface (Vulnerability Management Control Center):
The Greenbone Security Desktop
offers the full integration of an application running
on your PC. It is available for Windows, Mac OS X and
Linux operating systems.
Apart from a fast user interface it offers to
organize your threat management control center.
- CLI interface (Vulnerability Management Batch Process Integration): For automating batch processes a command line tool is available for Windows, Mac OS X and various Linux/Unix versions. It is possible to build your own complete remote control system with the CLI tool.
The internal architecture follows the approach of task-oriented components. In other words, instead of an all-in-one-tool, each task is designed as a service. For example, the OpenVAS Manager is a client of the OpenVAS Scanner service. At the same time the OpenVAS Manager is a service for the Greenbone Security Assistant.
- Small, focussed components can be implemented and operated transparently and securely. Each components uses only the system privileges that it needs to operate properly.
- Each of the service components offers a well-defined communication protocol.